2016 Q2 - The Brain That Changes Itself, The Method Method, Explain Pain

The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

“The idea that the brain is like a muscle that grows with exercise is not just a metaphor.”

If this quote interests you, then you’ll find this book deliciously irresistible. “Neuroplasticity” is one of those words people use to make themselves feel smart. After reading this book you probably will know more about the brain and it’s ability to adapt than most people you’ll meet. Pick up this book if you’re interested in learning more about how the brain can adapt around seemingly insurmountable obstacles and elevate all our lives.


The Method Method by Eric Ryan and Adam Lowry

This book is an honest and very motivating read on the importance and utilization of company culture, importance of design, interplay between style & substance, cruciality of experiential relationships (with employees and customers), and creation of a raving fanbase. Yes, this a book about the 7 obsessions that lit a fire under an upstart company in a very crowded industry - soap. Own or run a business that you love? Then you’ll want to read this. Fantasize about starting a company? Then pick up this book to conceptualize importance of company culture and integrate it into your future plans.


Explain Pain by David Butler & Lorimer Moseley

Anyone who is/was experiencing lingering pains should read this book. Any healthcare professional who is in the business of alleviating pain should read this book. Explain Pain is a very clever and well-choreographed explanation of the pain experience. Questions this book answers: Why do things hurt sometimes and not other times? What is pain and what can be done about it? I waited too long to read this book, and will undoubtedly sift through it more than once or twice. Highly recommended!


Wait: The Art and Science of Delay by Frank Partnoy

This book answers two questions: “First, how long should we take to react or decide in a particular situation? Then, once we have a sense of the correct time period, how should we spend our time leading up to the moment of decision?” Partnoy surprised me with the amount of detail and dissection he conducted to understand how top performers use delay to their advantage. A few phrases that really caught my attention: “preconscious anticipation”, “minimizing delay and optimizing delay are two very different things”, and “our brains are making time elastic”. 70% of this book was incredibly engaging; the other 30%, although less provocative, was just as valuable. Although this book may not provide you with exact instructions on time management, it nicely serves up broad concepts through various examples and scenarios.


Favorite Articles of the Quarter

31 Ways To Get More “Deep Work” Accomplished by Ryan Holiday is full of smart & effective recommendations on how to get essential work done.

Reed Hastings: Make As Few Decisions as Possible...on what he’s learned as CEO of Netflix.

“If I’m not saying ‘Hell Yeah!’ To something, then I say no.” - Derek Sivers

Jason Boddu